This post has an amazon affiliate link in it to help provide money to keep this blog up. Read my disclosure policy.
Some days just call for homemade mac and cheese. I love homemade macaroni and cheese. I’m a southern girl. Even though I am gluten intolerant, I’ve found made some pretty delicious versions. My all time favorite mac and cheese is John Besh’s Cauliflower and Ricotta Mac and Cheese. My gluten-free friends will have to adapt that. Soon I’ll share my gluten-free version and some of my grain free mac and cheese options, but today I have my quick no-fuss mac and cheese.
This mac and cheese does not even involve a roux and my four-year-old helped me make it. I’ve subbed traditional gluten-free noodles for Quinoa Gluten Free Pasta Shells because I am definitely going to add in a super grain over just rice and corn. For my non-gluten-free people, I’d recommend using protein elbow noodles.
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 (8 oz) boxes of quinoa shell noodles
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Cook and Drain the noodles.
- In a large oven proof pan heat the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, stir in the cottage cheese.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese one cup at a time.
- Mix in hot sauce, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Stir noodles.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes.