I’ve finally cracked the code for a fast gluten-free bread that doesn’t taste gluten-free. If you are on a gluten-free diet, then you know what I mean. The smell of yeast bread will convince you that you are missing out on life! Okay, I am exaggerating a little, but this bread makes up for it all. My entire family gets excited when they smell it baking in the oven and my husband promises he can’t even tell it’s gluten-free! I’ve served this to guests and you don’t even have to tell them it doesn’t have wheat. Your secret is safe with me.
I’ve adapted this recipe from a flat bread recipe one of my best friends shared with me like three years a go. You should absolutely check this recipe out as well!
Note: If your family is fine with wheat just sub my cup for cup with all-purpose flour and you are good to go!
- 1 package of fast rising yeast
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup of cup for cup gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 cup of blanched almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Grease a circle cake or pie pan.
- Combine flours and salt.
- Dump the packet of yeast.
- Add hot water.
- Stir and add honey and olive oil.
- Combine into a ball.
- Cover with a towel and sit by the stove if you have time. This isn't necessary, but absolutely makes it better. I usually make my bread first and then finish up the rest of my meal.
- Move the ball of bread dough onto the pie pan.
- Smash it down until it covers 3/4 of the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes (watch it to be sure it doesn't burn). The timing depends on your oven since you are cooking it at such a high temp.
- Spread butter or olive oil on top and sprinkle a little sea salt.
- Eat warm!
Here’s what the dough looks like before I pop it in the oven!