This recipe is adapted from Southern Living’s Sloppy Joes. I had to do some thinking on how to make the Sloppy Joes packed with nutrient filled ingredients, but taste like the classic flavor. I obviously didn’t want ketchup or brown sugar in there. I wanted this to be a fast meal and not spend time making healthy condiments. Because if I am going to spend an hour making something, I am probably not going to make Sloppy Joes. You know?ac
I am to report that this is a week night meal at it’s finest. It’s delicious. It’s truly one pot (no cutting board either) and dairy free, gluten-free, and grain free. We loved the sweet tanginess it had! Truthfully, I liked this much more than the normal Sloppy Joes. Those preservative filled cans have nothing on these Cleaner Joes.
This recipe does call for honey, but if you aren’t doing any forms of sweeter I’d encourage you to still add something sweet to it that will cut the tanginess. I recommend trying Perry Plate’s date paste!
I served mine on a bed of undressed coleslaw. It was paired perfectly with it. My kids and husband are gluten light and ate their Cleaner Joes on a whole wheat hamburger bun!
Time Saver Tip: Buy frozen already chopped onions and green bell peppers to save yourself time! Also, consider buying already minced fresh garlic.
- 1 tablespoon of olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs of grass fed organic ground beef
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of fine kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of cloves
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of prepared mustard
- 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes (drained)
- Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat.
- Sautée onions and bell peppers for two minutes.
- Add in garlic.
- Add ground beef and crumble.
- Add the first five spices.
- Cook meat until browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and cook down (while stirring) until 1/4 of the liquid is evaporated.
- Serve over undressed shredded cabbage (buy slaw kits in the produce section) or a whole wheat bun.