After a few weeks of eating healthy, you may find yourself craving comfort food. As any true southerner will tell you, comfort food is found in a good casserole. Let’s be honest, though. Not all casseroles are created equal. I don’t want an MSG filled dish that has multiple Campbell soup cans or is mushy with Saltines baked on top. It’s about flavor and texture. Now, I am not knocking these dishes. I have certainly loved a good 90’s dish. My grandmother, Mimi, used to make chicken poppyseed casserole and it was my favorite. I am pretty positive it was full of all things bad for you, but it takes me back to the comfort of her kitchen table where diet cokes and compliments were abundant. I remember calling her in college to get this recipe. My (now) husband fell in love with it.
Here’s my lightened up version:
- It’s full of flavor but has NO canned soup
- Uses nonfat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and mayo
- It Gluten-Free and Soy Free
- Packed with protein
- It’s decidedly un-mushy. I use roasted broccoli florets here instead of frozen broccoli and that makes a big difference.
This recipe comes together quickly if you have already shredded chicken. If you are in a hurry pick some up from Costco or Sprouts. I had mine in the freezer leftover from my Crock Pot Buffalo Batch Chicken. You can also buy pre-rinsed quinioa to save you a step.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil (or another heat safe oil like coconut oil)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 3 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 cups of shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups of non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup of Mexican style shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Rinse quinoa and combine with water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Line broccoli on cooke sheet. Pull the florets apart with your hands, so you have smaller bite size pieces. Discard any big broccoli stalks. Cover with avocado oil and generously salt and pepper.
- Cook broccoli for 6-7 minutes.
- Combine broccoli, quinoa, and shredded chicken.
- Stir spices into greek yogurt and lemon juice.
- Combine yogurt and chicken mixture.
- Place in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cover with cheese.
- Cook for 12 minutes at 375 degrees or until bubbly.