Pssst. You guys I am reposting this because it’s a family favorite and right now in the middle of Dec I need all things EASY!
You guys asked for kid friendly, healthy, and easy meals and I am really trying. These chicken tacos took me like 2 minutes to prep and I cooked them in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes (don’t worry I have a slow cooker adaption) and then threw them under the broiler because I am all about different texture. And seriously that’s all I did.
Crazy easy. My kids and husband LOVED them. I served them with guacamole and chips; I just bought Aldi’s guacamole. It’s whole30 compliant, so I figured that’s clean enough to not mess with making it on a weeknight.
Honestly, it’s been a really fun challenge to think through fast kid-friendly meals and most of all really nice to have more time to do other things. We are in the middle of a bunch of house projects right now. We just put new flooring down in our master and we were about to move on to put it another bedroom when the ants moved in.
No – more like an army of ants. I’ve never seen so many. It was ridiculous. We sprayed, put out traps, I walked around following my two-year-old with a vacuum, tried essential oils, but NOTHING worked. It was almost like the harder we tried, the more we found. It turns out we have wood rot around our big kitchen window and the ants were just a symptom of a bigger problem.
Thankfully, my dad is a contractor and he and Bill are working on it right now as I type! This may be the strangest intro to a recipe um ever. Chicken Tacos + Ants=?
But I wanted to share just how easy these tacos are. I made them with all of this going on, so you can make this in the middle of the first-week-of-school-no-one-knows-what-they-are-doing-crazy too. You’ve got this! Plus, your kids will love them.
- 3 chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 1 (7 oz can) of Salsa Verde Herdez
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- Water (if you are cooking in a pressure cooker)
- Corn tortillas
- Cheddar and/or Cojita
- Plain Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream (optional)
- Place chicken in the pressure cooker.
- Pour salsa in to a liquid measuring cup.
- Fill the rest of the cup up with water until you hit the 1 cup mark.
- Cook on the high pressure setting for ten minutes.
- Shred chicken (I just put my in my Kitchen Aid for 30 second with my paddle)
- Place in corn tortillas and top with cheese.
- Broil for 1 minute.
- If you want to make the sauce, combine 1/2 cup of the chicken broth from the pot with 1/4 cup of plain greek yogurt. Mix well. Sprinkle with salt.
If you would rather use your crockpot, cook it on high for 3-4 hours.